Practising for india!

Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Day 15 (Oct 6th)

Got up for first official lesson! Took Maddy 20mins to get out of bed! We're hoping as Alfonz, the guy who's taking one of the English lessons, is here today we might get a better idea of what exactly we're going to be teaching etc! I was not to be! He seemed to know even less than us! We were trying to suggest that he taught for the first hour, then we would go over the pronunciation for the words and sentences he had taught, but he seemed to think we had our own exact plan of what we wanted to teach! So once again we bluffed along with some phonics. One sentence was "The fish and chip shop..." which Anil pronounced as "De piss and chip sop"! We also went over some words which sound the same but have a different meaning and spelling like plain and plane.
After lunch we went to the supermarket to get some paper for the kids lessons.
Some random guy approached us and shook our hands on the way there. I think it's just the novelty of seeing a "white" person but was still a bit of a weird experience!
Also at the shop the guy didn't have the right change so instead of giving us the 2.5 rupees gave us a few sweets!
For the kids lesson we did posters of their names with sentences like: "I have a younger brother called George", "I like to swim" underneath their name in bubble writing. It ended up taking the whole lesson so we'll have to get back to the next set of phonics tomorrow!
Oh and I sliced Maddy's finger open in cards! Whoops!
xxx

No comments: