Practising for india!

Friday, 31 October 2008

Day 25 (16th October)

Had a some roti masala for breakfast which is like a ricey pancake. Had one with sugar and a couple with curry!
We went into town to find the hostel Raquelle was thinking of staying at, then went to MG (Mahatma Ghandi) road fo a 'coffee' (me and Mads had juice and hot chocolate!). Then Maddy and I went in search of books in the Gangaram book shop. It was awesome! Was h\huge! Books piled everywhere, and was beaten only by a smaller bookshop we found off one the main street where the walls seemed to be made from piles of books! I bought 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time' and a Philipa Gregory book. Don't actually think I'll get round to reading them by the time I've left but the books are cheaper here than in the UK. Maddy on the other hand who is a lightening reader bought 6 altogether and I bet she'll finish them within the week!
We also had a look at some of thestreet stalls and bought a cool beady necklace!
Getting back to Karuna Niwas was a bit of a mission! Celine had asked Raqs to take us back by bus for the experience... just waiting was an experience! We got an auto to the city circle where we were supposed to be able to catch a bus. It was manic! Didn't have a clue which bus to get! When eventually we figured out it would be about half an hour before the next bus back we caved and got an auto rickshaw instead!
Also whilst out we withdrew (or tried to!) money from the ATM on MG road. Maddy's worked fine but mine didn't! We ended up trying it at about 6 different ATMs! But to no avail! My marvelous mother found out that apparently I can't use my card abroad! SINCE WHEN!!!!! Anyway emergency averted, am now using The Bank of Mads!
Also realised today that I haven't brought any earrings with me so my ears are in danger of closingup so Raquell has very kind me lent me some of hers!
The kids classes were pretty draining today as we were rather tired. Asha Mariya brought along her brother who's back from boarding school for the holiday.
Celine told us yet more stories over dinner!

No comments: